So you’re looking at getting a degree in Civil Engineering but fear you may not gain enough experience in the field when time comes to get a job?
No need to fear, here at Apprentice Now…
…you have the opportunity to do both!
We offer a level 6 degree apprenticeship that includes the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to achieve Incorporated Engineer status with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
By the end of this apprenticeship, the following qualifications will be gained:
- BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering or equivalent Level 6 Civil Engineering Diploma, mapped to UK-Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) for Incorporated Engineer
- Industry certificates in Site Safety Plus Site Managers’ Safety Training Scheme and Site Environmental Awareness Training Scheme which are required for safe operations in the workplace
- English will be required to be demonstrated at Level 3 and Maths will be required to be demonstrated at Level 5 for Incorporated Engineer status. These may be demonstrated in the BEng(Hons) Civil
The typical duration for this apprenticeship is three to four years but this will depend on the previous experience of the apprentice and access to opportunities to gain the full range of competence.
Individual employers will set their own selection criteria for this apprenticeship. As it requires achievement to Level 6 and a high level of Maths the typical entry requirements for this Apprenticeship will be the completion of the Level 4 Construction Technician Standard; EngTech TMICE status; HNC in Civil Engineering or equivalent qualifications and commensurate experience.
Academic achievements aren’t the only thing that gets you through the door! Your skills, knowledge and who you are as a person all play a part in qualifying for this degree apprenticeship.
A few honourable mentions in Knowledge, skills and behaviours required for this role:
- Civil Engineering Knowledge, solutions and techniques
- Understand the project management cycle including the planning, budgeting, project funding and payment processes
- Understand principles of team working, staff coordination, supply chain management,performance management and the development of people
- Commercial and Legal Awareness, Safe Systems of Work and Sustainability
- Management and Leadership
- Commercial Ability
- Health, Safety and welfare
- Sustainable Development
- Interpersonal Skills and Communication
- Independent Judgement and Responsibility
- Maintaining Continuing Professional Development
- Complying with Codes of Conduct
The main duties and tasks in Civil Engineering Site Management are:
- To ensure that safe systems of work are in place on their site and that all staff adhere to them
- To translate design information to construction teams so they can construct the project effectively and efficiently
- To manage the productivity on the site so that the project is completed on time
- To ensure that the project is completed to the specification and quality needed by the client
- To manage the activity on site in a way that adheres to cost and contract constraints
- To ensure that the site has minimal negative impact on the environment and community
- To manage interfaces between stakeholders associated with the project
If you think civil engineering is the career path for you then why not go for a degree apprenticeship where you could get equal parts education and experience. You would not only stand out from the crowd when applying for jobs but also grow as an individual as you would face challenges and problem solving opportunities any working professional would while tackling complex theoretical learning!
Further education has never been so rewarding where you earn while you learn. Apprenticeships are the future and if you want to be a part of that future then head to CIVIL ENGINEERING SITE MANAGEMENT (DEGREE) for further information.