Are you keen to process, manage, and settle complex investment portfolios and resolve intricate problems? If so, read on to learn how you can advance your career in financial services with a level 4 investment operations specialist apprenticeship.
Program details and entry requirements
This apprenticeship will provide you the opportunities to learn the skills required to perform typical investment operations roles: Investment Operations Administrator, Investment Operations Associate, and Investment Operations Analyst. You can hear from Colin who works as an associate at a financial planning firm in this video.
This apprenticeship is typically 18 to 24 months long. It is most likely to be a progression from a lower level apprenticeship, building on previously acquired experience, though an employer may choose to hire you regardless of your background if you possess the skills and aptitudes they seek. If you haven’t received up-to-date Maths and English qualifications, you will have the opportunity to get these during the apprenticeship. A British Sign Language (BSL) qualification is an alternative to the English qualification if your primary language is BSL.
This open-door approach ensures that everyone has a chance to succeed in this exciting field.
Key responsibilities of an investment operations specialist
The primary role of an investment operations specialist apprentice is to carry out investment transactions on behalf of individuals or organisations. Specialists help ensure that financial instruments and products are efficiently processed, registered, reported and valued. They may also have training or supervisory responsibilities within their area of expertise. As a specialist, you will be fluent in the systems and processes of the organisations, whilst being aware of the wider risk implications of your role and the business.
As part of your job, you will carry out tasks that will fulfil a number of competencies. Some examples are:
- Processing and settlement of derivatives or complex investments
- Calculation and management of initial and ongoing margin for derivatives positions
- Valuation of complex investment portfolios
- Preparation of investment performance reports for clients and investment managers
- Preparation of management reports for internal review
- Selection of investment funds for platforms accessed by retail customers, based on pre-defined criteria
- Resolving complex issues within and across departments
You can learn more about these and other competencies, as well as how to prepare for the end-point assessment in these three documents: occupational standard, assessment plan, and occupational brief.
Knowledge modules and qualifications
In this role, you will perform complex and specialised activities to maintain a high standard of service internally, towards clients, and with intermediaries. The knowledge modules and vendor exams will help you understand the following:
- Financial Services industry structure and investing processes
- Supporting operational protocols
- Regulatory frameworks, ethics, and compliance risks
- Characteristics and use cases of investment products, instruments, currencies, and markets
- Utilising complex processes and multiple systems as required
- IT skills, regulatory knowledge, and market systems proficiency
- Knowing what operational risks are and how they can mitigation strategies
- Client relationship and service excellence aligned with internal standards, market protocols, and regulatory frameworks
To demonstrate your skills covered in this apprenticeship, you will complete an appropriate qualification or examinations (as considered most relevant by the employer) from one of the following Professional Bodies:
- Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment – Investment Operations Certificate; Certificate in Investment Management; Investment Advice Diploma; Managing Operational Risk in Financial Institution. Find out more about these certifications on their website or YouTube channel.
- CFA Institute / CFA UK – Investment Management Certificate (IMC). Learn more about the opportunities of studying an IMC here.
Successful completion of one of the qualifications listed above will enable you to apply for membership of the relevant Professional Body.
The Level 4 Investment Operations Apprenticeship is for anyone looking to explore business operations and administration roles in the financial services sector.